Warning after Cannock kitchen fire blamed on dog

Fire bosses in Cannock have priaised the effectiveness of smoke alarms after they alerted a neighbour to a fire.  

Crews from Cannock attended the incident at Winding House Drive on Wednesday of last week (November 20) at 3.36pm after calls from a neighbour reporting that the smoke alarms were sounding.  

Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire which involved plastic packets of rice which had been left on the kitchen hob.

An investigation found three of the electrical rings on the hob had been turned on by the family dog, who had access to the kitchen whilst the occupier was out.

Watch Manager Russ Brown said: “Fortunately this property had working smoke alarms which meant we were alerted to the incident at the earliest opportunity.

“The homeowner had also closed all of the bedroom and lounge doors so in turn the smoke was confined to the kitchen.

"Luckily, there was no significant damage to the kitchen and the family were able to go back into their home shortly after we’d put out the fire.

“This goes to show how our message about closing internal doors can prevent smoke and fire from spreading.

“This is not the first time we have been to a fire caused by pets jumping up at the cooker, so we are asking the public to ensure there are no flammable items left on or near the hob, and if they have to shut animals in the kitchen area it is important to isolate all appliances and ensure they cannot accidentally be turned on.”

More from Local

Cover art for Say So

On Air

Elliot & Matilda playing Doja Cat - Say So