Uttoxeter town centre has fallen silent to honour those who lost their lives in the First World War but whose names were never immortalised on its War Memorial.
The 46 soldiers have been formally honoured at a service to dedicate three new bronze plaques bearing their names, which have been funded by JCB.
The event coincided with the 141st anniversary of the birth of Captain Oswald Bamford, who was a cousin of JCB Chairman Lord Bamford’s grandfather and served with the 1st/6th Battalion The North Staffordshire Regiment. The father-of-two died aged just 38 at the Battle of Loos, along with 15 other brave Uttoxeter soldiers on 13th October,1915.
Civic dignitaries, members of the church, ex-servicemen and women, and residents gathered for the ceremony, while children from local schools placed remembrance crosses around the war memorial which bear the names of all the soldiers now being honoured.
The dedication of new commemorative plaques is the result of the determination of authors Gillian and Alan Talbot. When compiling their book, ‘Uttoxeter’s Lost Generation 1914-1918’, they discovered that a number of names of local men killed during The Great War were missing from the town memorial.
The couple were instrumental in rectifying the oversight which will ensure the names of all 230 men and one woman who gave their lives are remembered forever.
Philip Adams from Forsbrook, was there to honour his great uncle William Henry Adams, whose name is one of the new ones to be now inscribed on the War Memorial. William is believed to have died on the same day as Edward James - March 21st, 1918 - and is believed to be buried in the same town of Croisilles.
Military historian Philip has spent two decades researching his great uncle's story.