.

Traveller camp plans rejected

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2019 6:00am

By Jenny Bonson & Joe Burn, Local Democracy Reporter @newsjenny

Plans for four permanent caravan pitches have been rejected by Newcastle planning bosses.

A total of 90 objections were put to the Borough Council regarding the proposals for land at Blackbrook Nursery in Newcastle Road near the Swan With Two Necks Pub.

They complained about sewage provisions, noise from the camp and light pollution.

Families were also concerned about the natural beauty of the area being spoiled by waste from the site, with further concerns relating to road safety.

Some residents recently erected a sign along the A51, stating: “No caravan site in Blackbrook. Object to plans by June 7.”

Severn Trent Water also said it was concerned about possible environmental damage to the site as it’s located close to fresh water bore holes used to service thousands of families.

Staffordshire County Council Highways have not formally objected to the plans but have raised concerns about the safety of access to the site.

One local resident, who did not wish to be named told planning bosses: “The site is close to a well known accident black spot. The information in the application is unsatisfactory and there’s no proof it would enhance the landscape. It would certainly not be considered suitable for any development.”

Council planning officers added that the site should not be described as ‘previously developed’ as it had only been used for ‘hobby horticulture’ and not run as a business.

Planning officers noted that the council did not have the required five year land supply for gypsy and traveller pitches.

Council leader, Simon Tagg reassured members that a five year supply would be worked out in the upcoming local plan before moving the recommendation to refuse the application and Cllr Mark Holland seconded it.

The traveller community have recently come under fire in the borough after several caravans were spotted pulling on to Wolstanton Marsh at around 5pm on June 2.

Newcastle council planning bosses refused the plans unanimously without debate on June 18.

More from Local