.

Stray firework caused blaze at former pottery works

A blaze at the former Wades Pottery site in Stoke-On-Trent was caused accidentally by a stray firework, according to a fire investigation.

Crews from Burslem, Kidsgrove, Biddulph and Longton were called to the derelict building on Westport Road at 9.26pm on Saturday (4 November).

It took more than nine hours to put out the blaze,

A fire investigation was carried out, and found a stray firework was the cause of the blaze.

Station Manager Paul Cullen said: “We are always prepared to be called out to firework related incidents at this time of year but this particular incident was quite significant and took several hours to put out.

“Although many would have enjoyed their bonfire night celebrations over the weekend some will still be intending to continue to light fireworks or have bonfires through the week.

"We are still advising residents that it is best to attend an organised display but if you are intending to have a bonfire at home be sure not to pour flammable liquids onto the blaze, that the fire is far away from buildings and plants/trees that could easily catch fire and that the fire is not left unattended at any time.

“Overall although the Service has had a busy weekend the number of calls related to fireworks have not been very high and we would like to ensure Staffordshire remains safe over the coming week with regards to fireworks and enjoy their celebrations safely.”

More from Local


Cover art for Heaven On My Mind

On Air

Hattie Pearson playing Becky Hill & Sigala - Heaven On My Mind