For the first time in eight years, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is accepting applications from people wanting to be full time firefighters.
Bosses say they need to boost numbers, with several members of staff retiring or due to step down.
They are looking for 16 candidates to embark on an intensive initial firefighter training course planned to begin later this year.
Applications open on Thursday June 1 and close on Sunday June 11.
The Service has launched a campaign to encourage people who may not necessarily consider themselves suitable for a firefighting career to apply, with over 90 per cent of the role now focused on education, prevention and training work.
While the bulk of the role isn’t physically demanding, candidates will need to be fit enough to perform the operational side of the job.
Recruitment events to be held as follows:
- 10am-1pm Monday May 22 at Newcastle-under-Lyme Fire Station
- 3-7pm Monday May 22 at Tamworth Belgrave Fire Station
- 3-7pm Wednesday May 24 at Hanley
- 3-7pm Wednesday May 24 at Cannock Fire Station
- 10am-3pm Friday May 26 May at Burton
- 10am-3pm Friday May 26 at Stafford Fire Station