Man injured by bin fire

A Moorlands man has been injured after ashes he had thrown out reignited in a bin.

Crews were called out to a property in Coniston Drive in Cheadle just before 12.40am on Wednesday 1 March.

They found that the bin fire, located at the rear of the property, was spreading up the wall of the man’s home into the roof void of the porch.

Prior to firefighters arrival the man, who is in his 60s, suffered minor burn injuries to his feet after attempting to move the bin.

He was treated at the scene by paramedics but did not require hospital treatment.

Station Manager Mark Hall said: “Our crews established this fire was caused accidentally by the casualty placing burnt paper ashes in his wheelie bin. Unfortunately, he suffered burns by trying to move the bin away from his home.

“The incident highlights the importance of making sure any embers from burnt materials are soaked thoroughly so there’s no risk of them reigniting at a later point.

“If you ever discover a bin fire you should never attempt to move it, move away to safety and dial 999 immediately.

“This incident could have easily led to a house fire with a risk to life. The danger of disposing ignitable materials incorrectly should not be underestimated.”



More from Local

Cover art for Say You Won't Let Go

On Air

Foxy and Emma playing James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go

Have you tried...