.

Stoke house fire caused by smoking materials

A house fire in Stoke is believed to have started accidentally, due to smoking materials.

Crews from Hanley, Longton and Newcastle were called to Fletcher Road at 1:53pm this afternoon (9 May) after neighbours noticed smoke coming from the property.

They found the fire had started in a back room in the downstairs of the building.

One male was in the building but was evacuated and not hurt.

A cat is believed to have died at the scene.

Fire Investigation Officer Kelvin Knapper said: “We believe a cigarette may have been dropped onto flammable materials before the resident left her home.

"Thankfully, her son was outside already, but the family will now have to be relocated because of serious damage in the rest of their home.

“Smoking is one of the four factors highlighted in our SAME campaign which increase the likelihood of dying in a fire, along with alcohol, having mobility issues and being elderly. Fortunately, no one was hurt during this incident but one cat sadly died during the fire.

“Please, if you are going to smoke in your home, ensure you put it out properly in an appropriate ash tray.”

For more information on the SAME campaign please visit https://www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/your-safety/campaigns/fire-death-factors/

More from Local


Cover art for Let You Love Me

On Air

Max Mallen playing Rita Ora - Let You Love Me

Try Something Else