.

Grandad accidentally gave cannabis cake to staff at Cheshire hospital

Staff at a Cheshire hospital got slightly more than they bargained for after tucking into a cake - which turned out to be laced with cannabis.

Warrington Hospital says it was brought in by a visitor from their grandson's 18th birthday party, and was offered to staff as a ‘thank you’.

They say the visitor was completely unaware that there was cannabis in the cake.

Bosses at the hospital say only one member of staff ate a small piece of cake, did not suffer any ill effects, did not care for any patients afterwards and finished their shift.

Cheshire Police were called after a strange odour from the cake was noticed by senior staff.

Officers removed and subsequently destroyed the dessert.

We are told staff have now been told to 'exercise caution' when it comes to edible gifts.

The hospital has also refuted claims in The Sun newspaper that staff were left 'off their faces' - and say their version should be 'taken with the proverbial pinch of salt’.

Cheshire Police say officers have now spoken to all parties involved and 'given some strong words of advice'.

More from Local