Family escape from fire started by children playing with lighters

Fire bosses say a Stoke-on-Trent family have had a lucky escape from a blaze that was started by children playing with cigarette lighters.

Crews were sent to the incident on Brocksford Street in Fenton at around 8.45am yesterday (10 August) after the parents smelt smoke and found a fire upstairs in the children’s bedroom.

The children were downstairs at the time.

The father fetched a bucket of water and attempted to extinguish the fire, suffering minor burns to his foot.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the property, and used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

Fire and smoke damage has left the home uninhabitable.

Station Manager, James Green said: "This incident could have easily ended in tragedy as the property did not have any smoke alarms fitted. We urge all members of the public to ensure that they install smoke alarms on every level of their home and test them on a regular basis to ensure that they’re working should a fire occur.

"We’d also like to reiterate the ‘get out, stay out’ message and remind people never to try to tackle a fire themselves. Thankfully on this occasion no serious injuries were suffered. Both parents were checked over by paramedics but didn’t require any hospital treatment.

“This incident also highlights the plight of our ongoing Flames Aren’t Games campaign and is a stark reminder to parents to talk to their children to try to educate them about the dangers of playing with fire as early as possible. That message needs to be frequently discussed throughout their childhood.

"We would urge parents to ensure all types of lighters and matches are kept out of sight and reach of children. Children can be curious about fire but often do not fully understand the potential serious consequences of playing with fire.

"Fire is often appealing to young children but they don’t understand the potential danger it poses.

"Although this family will be unable to return to their home for some time, the incident could have been far worse, they have had a very lucky escape."


More from Local

Cover art for Everybody's Changing

On Air

Jack Richardson playing Keane - Everybody's Changing

Have you tried...