.

Elderly woman suffers burns after tackling fire at her Stoke-on-Trent home

An elderly man and woman have been taken to hospital after trying to put out a fire at their Stoke-on-Trent home.

It started in the conservatory of the Baddeley Green Lane property, when clothing drying in front of a gas heater set alight.

The woman suffered burns while trying to tackle the blaze, and the man suffered smoke inhalation.

The fire quickly spread to the rest of the semi detached property, but they had already evacuated the property when crews arrived around midday.

Station Manager Roy Daniels said: ‘The elderly couple both suffered injuries, so they were very lucky to escape the property.

"This incident acts as a reminder to people that you should never attempt to tackle a fire - instead get out, stay out and call 999. Sometimes a person’s gut reaction is to try and fight a fire but it really isn’t worth putting your own life at risk, as firefighters we are equipped and trained to deal with these situations safely.

‘As the winter months approach we also urge people not to dry clothes in front of heaters, as this incident has demonstrated a fire can very quickly start and spread. The fire has caused significant damage to both floors and the roof space of the house.’

 

 

 

 

More from Local

Cover art for Heaven On My Mind

On Air

Hattie Pearson playing Becky Hill & Sigala - Heaven On My Mind