.

Elderly man suffered burns after falling asleep while smoking

An elderly man has been treated for burns after its believed he fell asleep while smoking at his Cannock home.

Three appliances from Cannock and Chase Terrace were deployed to the property in Haig Close just after 1am yesterday (9 May), after being alerted by a care-line system.

Firefighters entered the building and the resident was found in the kitchen.

He was taken to Royal Stoke Hospital with burns to his left shoulder and chest area.

The fire had been extinguished by an automatic sprinkler system.

Simon Craythorn, Station Manager, said “Following a number of visits by our Prevent Officers since 2012, and working alongside partners, the resident was deemed to be at high risk. A care plan had been put into place that included the installation of a Personal Protection System, which had operated successfully, extinguishing the fire quickly and saving him from further serious injury. 

“Following a Fire Investigation, we believe the man fell asleep whilst smoking on the sofa and the cigarette dropped and set the nearby pillow alight which then spread to his clothing. 

“Sadly this man had reduced mobility and would therefore have struggled to leave the building on his own. Mobility issues, along with smoking and being elderly form part of the SAME campaign. This campaign highlights the four factors which increase the likelihood of dying in a fire. These are: smoking, alcohol, mobility issues and being elderly."

More from Local


Cover art for All That She Wants

On Air

Max Mallen playing Ace Of Base - All That She Wants

Try Something Else