.

Commissioner and county council leader release statements following terror attack

Pictured - Matthew Ellis, Staffordshire Commissioner

The Commissioner for Staffordshire and the County Council leader have released statements following Friday's terror attack in the capital.

Matthew Ellis, Staffordshire's police, fire and rescue and crime commissioner said: "My thoughts are with those affected by the awful incident in London.

"Staffordshire Police is working closely with colleagues in counter terrorism police in London and the force is keeping me updated."

Philip Atkins, Leader of Staffordshire County Council, said: “I know I am speaking on behalf of everyone at the council as to how shocked we are by the events at London Bridge and our thoughts are with the families of the deceased and those affected by this terrible incident.

“Stafford is a county town like many others and is home to thousands of people who peacefully live alongside one another.

“Understandably, residents will want to know more about this person’s immediate past here, but they will also know that Stafford and Staffordshire are safe, tolerant and peaceful places.”

The government has launched an urgent review into terrorists released from prison - after Usman Khan from Stoke-on-Trent, killed two people on London Bridge on Friday.

He had been convicted of plotting to bomb the London Stock Exchange in 2012, and was freed half-way through a 16-year sentence.

The Met Police say two addresses have been searched in Stafford and Stoke.

 

More from Local