.

Care complex fire report welcomed by council and property owners

Cheshire East Council has welcomed the findings of an investigation into a fire at a care complex in Crewe.

130 residents lost their homes and personal belongings in the blaze in August. 

Cheshire Fire and Rescue carried out a detailed investigation of the extensively-damaged Beechmere complex, and have found that the fire was accidental and began on a third-floor roof terrace, before spreading through the building.

Residents were evacuated safely, thanks to the swift actions of the fire service, staff at the complex and the quick thinking of local residents who helped to get people to safety. 

The council’s housing options team is working with the property owners Avantage (Cheshire) and with Your Housing Group to help find long-term housing for the residents. To date, around two-thirds of the residents have been found alternative permanent homes.

Mark Palethorpe, Cheshire East Council’s acting executive director of people, said: “I would like to congratulate Cheshire Fire and Rescue for the extremely professional manner in which they have responded to this dreadful event. Naturally, it is a relief to learn that the cause of the fire has been found to be accidental.

“I would like to thank the local residents and the people and organisations across Crewe who have supported the people from Beechmere at this difficult time and who have been so generous with their donations of clothing, bedding, toiletries and other essential items, such as wheelchairs and walking frames.

“I would also like to thank Crewe Town Council, our staff and elected members, who all responded so swiftly to this emergency.”

Avantage has indicated its intention to rebuild the Beechmere complex and will work with the council and partner organisations on the design and construction of the new building.

More from Local


Cover art for Rhythm Is A Dancer

On Air

Foxy & Matilda playing Snap! - Rhythm Is A Dancer

Try Something Else