.

Beechmere residential complex fire accidental

Fire bosses in Cheshire say the cause of the fire at the Beechmere residential complex in Crewe was accidental.

They have found the blaze on Thursday 8 August started on a roof terrace area of the property.

Head of Protection Lee Shears said: “Based on the evidence available to us, it is our opinion that the fire was accidental and that the source of the ignition was on a patio/terrace area on the third floor, which then led to the fire spreading internally up the wall structure and into the roof space.”

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service’s (CFRS) investigation team continue to work with a number of agencies to investigate why the fire developed and spread as it did. They anticipate that it will be many months before they may be able to establish why the fire took hold of the building so quickly.

Around 150 people were evacuated from the building and at its height, 16 fire engines attended from across Cheshire, Staffordshire, Shropshire and Merseyside. Firefighters were at the scene fighting the fire and damping down for four days.

More from Local