Following an update by the Prime Minister on the next stage of relaxing lockdown rules, Alton Towers bosses have confirmed it will reopen on 4 July.
The Staffordshire theme park already opened its historic gardens to pre-booked guests earlier this month.
In a statement, Alton Towers says the majority of outdoor rides and attractions will be open, but there will be restrictions on the number of people able to visit each day, to ensure social distancing can be maintained.
One of the changes will be the requirement of guests over the age of 6 being required to wear a face mask on the following rides:
- The Smiler,
- Wicker Man,
- Runaway Mine Train,
- Marauder’s Mayhem
Visitors are being asked to bring a suitable mask with them, or buy one while they are there.
There will also be social distancing on rides, with empty rows and seats to ensure visitors stay 2 metres apart.
Some of the other safety measures being introduced ahead of reopening are:
- Pre-booking tickets: All guests to pre-book tickets online in advance of their visit to enable capacity control
- Thermometer checks: To be safely admitted into the Resort, employees and guests will be asked to participate in a temperature check using a non-touch thermometer
- Cleaning protocols: Enhanced cleaning, hygiene stations and additional hand sanitiser at key locations
- Distance markers: The provision of spatial separation markings and other similar operating adjustments around the attraction, with the inclusion of all rides
- Use of PPE: Additional Personal Protective Equipment and clothing for all staff
Emma Catterall, Divisional Director at Alton Towers Resort, said: “It is fantastic that we can now confirm that our Theme Park and Accommodation will reopen from 4th July. We can’t wait to get back to doing what we do best, and we’re working hard to make sure that we’re implementing the new hygiene and distancing measures in a way that will still allow our guests to enjoy a memorable, fun visit to Alton Towers Resort.”
The Resort’s hotels and accommodation with also reopen from 4th July, initially with reduced capacity.
There is more information on the changes here.