.

Kidsgrove sports centre shut down early due to safety concerns

Kidsgrove Sports Centre has closed down after 41 years.

It was set to shut this evening (Friday 30th June), but residents trying to use the facilities say they were turned away last night.

The site remains closed, with a notice outside says it is shut due to 'unforeseen circumstances'.

Today a spokesman for Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council, which runs the site, said: “The safety of our staff and also legitimate sports centre users is of paramount importance to us. Information came to light that a minority of people were proposing to visit the centre today and act in an unsafe manner.

"Due to these circumstances beyond our control, the Council took the decision not to open the centre today.

“We regret having to take this step on the last day of the centre being operational.”

A rally that had been planned outside the centre will still go ahead this afternoon, with campaigners angry about the decision to close the building early. 

Users say they are disappointed they have not had the chance to say goodbye to staff and people they had met there.

RELATED NEWS: Kidsgrove Sports Centre closure to go ahead - but new leisure development proposed >>

It follows an announcement last month that the site was in a 'poor state' and 'no longer fit for purpose'.

 

More from Local