.

Driver jailed following death of victim - 11 years after collision

Friday, May 5th, 2017 2:30pm

A driver has been jailed after a woman died from injuries she received in a collision in Hanley in 2003.

Musarat Khan and her three-year-old young son were dragged under the Rover 620 driven by Mohammed Imran, who was aged 27 at the time of the incident on May 11 2003.

Imran had previously sped off after hitting the back of another car in Shelton, without exchanging details with the owner of the other vehicle.

In his desire to escape, Imran drove at high speed through red traffic lights, and as he turned into Richmond Terrace, he lost control of his car, and hit a number of parked cars before colliding with Mrs Khan and her son.

Imran ran away from the scene of the collision, but he was later arrested at his home in Etruria.

On 17 October 2003, he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving; attempting to pervert the course of justice; failing to stop after an accident; failing to report an accident; and no insurance. He was jailed for 21 months and disqualified from driving for five years.

Mrs Khan was left with brain damage by the incident and as a result was fully dependent on carers.

Her son suffered severe burns from the exhaust pipe after being trapped under Imran’s car and continues to require treatment to the present day.

On 16 August 2014, Mrs Khan passed away at Scotia Heights Nursing Home in Burslem, with her family at her side.

A post-mortem revealed that she died from the delayed complications of the head injury which she had received in 2003.

Imran, who had moved to the Republic of Ireland, was arrested at Manchester Airport on 28 March 2017, after Irish authorities declined to surrender him to UK authorities.

He pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

Now aged 41-years-old, Imran has today been jailed at Stoke Crown Court to five years and nine months imprisonment.

"Our loss has devastated us as a family"

Following today's sentencing, the family have released this statement: 

Musarat was a devoted and much-loved mother, daughter, wife, sister and family member who was cruelly taken away from us.

Musarat was only 31 at the time of her accident and had her whole life ahead of her, but her life was ruined due to someone’s dangerous and selfish driving.

Our loss has devastated us as a family, and we will never come to terms with seeing her suffering, her pain and then her death. Her children have grown up with the pain of not knowing what a mother’s love is and neither will they ever be able to experience the love of mother.

This has been a traumatic and painful experience for the whole family which has been prolonged for 14 years. We welcome that the law has tightened up on death by dangerous driving but that still will not bring Musarat back.

We ask that the family’s wish for privacy is respected by everyone and that we are given space to grieve.

PC Matt Lovatt of CMPG said: “This case serves to highlight the tragic consequences of driving dangerously and with no consideration for other road users.

“We will not hesitate to hold these drivers to account, regardless of the passage of time or the lengths to which we have to pursue them.”

Heath Westerman, Senior Crown Prosecutor with West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service, said: “Following the death of Mrs Khan on 2014, we examined all of the available police and medical evidence, and concluded that there was sufficient evidence and it was in the public interest to charge Mohammed Imran with causing her death through his dangerous driving in 2003.

“The defendant’s actions had not only left a woman and her son with life changing injuries, but it also took away her quality of life and eventually her life.

“Over the past 11 years, Mrs Khan’s family and friends have had to go through a significant period of pain and suffering, and we hope that today’s sentence will bring some closure to them. Our thoughts are with them today.”

 

More from Local